The American Revolution was remembered by its heroes, who often could not afford an oil portrait. Thus, the talented portrait artists of the day also hand-cut silhouettes.
This was demonstrated with an informative and captivating lecture by premier silhouette artist, Cindi Harwood Rose, as outlined in the Alexander Love Chapter of DAR’s newsletters highlighting this fascinating historical presentation by C. Rose, also an American Hero, for her silhouettes for survivors, awarded by American Profile Magazine.
Alexander Love Notes
Volume 6, Issue 1
“It was a pleasure to have Cindy Hardwood Rose of Silhouettes by Cindi to give a very entertaining, patriotic history lesson regarding the importance surrounding the value of hand-cut silhouette art as it relates to America’s history. Cindi was at our 12:30 meeting of the Alexander Love DAR Chapter, October 13th. The website is silhouettesbycindi.com. The American Guild of Papercutters has ranked Cindi Rose’s silhouette artistry as premier. In October, American Profile magazine made Cindi a “hero” for her silhouettes for cancer survivors. It was an honor for us to have her demonstrate the art of profiling people with a pair of surgical scissors and black paper, without a light, projector, or camera, and to give a lecture on the importance of capturing the style, feature, and personality in silhouette.
It was amazing that she could concentrate on the cutting while explaining that Silhouette cutting was in its peak during the American Revolution and that silhouette art was one of the few ways that history could be recorded, since oil portraits were so expensive, and the camera had not yet been invented.”
Our thanks to Cindi for such an excellent program.
–Susan K. Devenney, Regent
Cindi, a third generation fine artist, has done silhouettes over 35 years, and is considered the world’s fastest premier silhouette artist. You can view her write-up in the Guild of American Papercutters, or in American Profile Magazine, where Cindi Harwood Rose was chosen as an American hero, for her silhouettes for cancer survivors, which can be ordered on-line from CindiSilhouettes@gmail.com. For more information and booking information please visit silhouettesbycindi.com or roseribbon.org.
Please FollowFollow @@adorcharm
Please FollowFollow @@houstonsocial
- Silhouette Artist Cindi Rose is Ciao Bella Magazine Cover Girl
- Renowned Silhouette Artist Cindi Rose Cuts Profiles to Benefit Philippine Relief Efforts
- Scruples Boutique Features Premier Silhouette Artist Cindi
- Web Developers in the Spotlight: The Problems With the ACA Healthcare Websites
- Why I think Google’s Decision Regarding Keyword Data Removal From Analytics is a Good Thing
- ador on Cancelled My Sprint Account After 14 Years
- Danielle on Cancelled My Sprint Account After 14 Years
- Danielle on School Silhouette Artist Cindi Fund-raiser Saves the Day
- ador on School Silhouette Artist Cindi Fund-raiser Saves the Day
- ador on Dr. Franklin Rose gives Former ‘Bachelor’ Contestant Vienna Girardi the Nose She has Wanted All her Life!
TagsCindi Harwood Rose Cindi Rose Cindi Rose silhouettes for survivors Dr. Franklin Rose Erica Rose fastest fundraising event greatest museum-quality paper profile portraits premier silhouette artists Rose Ribbon Foundation silhouette artist silhouette artists silhouettes by Cindi Victorian silhouettes